Over the last couple of months, we’ve been busy! Primarily, of course, our mission at Maryland Addiction Recovery Center is to offer life-saving addiction and co-occurring treatment to those individuals and families in need. We do that through several programs: Our long-term extended care community living treatment, or outpatient PHP and Intensive Outpatient (IOP) day and evening treatment programs for our local community here in Maryland and Washington, D.C.
However, alongside offering treatment, we believe our mission also includes educating people and our community about addiction, treatment, and recovery, in order to change the paradigm and make sure that addiction is seen as a chronic health issue and treatment is appropriately implemented to ensure a successful, sustainable recovery. We also believe in building relationships within the addiction treatment space and the clinical community nationwide, so ethical, high-quality providers on all levels of care work together more closely in order to better establish standards for patient care and recovery outcomes. Additionally, we believe in promoting collaboration throughout the addiction treatment field and the national, regional, and local clinical community. Finally, we also believe in working to support our local community and aid in filling the needs of those individuals, parents, and families suffering from addiction and mental health issues.
Over the last couple of months, our staff has been very busy with those tasks. Here are some of the things that we’ve been up to at Maryland Addiction Recovery Center
- In March, we co-hosted “The Truth About Marijuana” event in Chevy Chase, Maryland alongside Caron Treatment Centers, Ashley Addiction Treatment, and Kolmac Outpatient Recovery Centers, for over 250 local community members, that featured keynote speaker Ben Cort, and a panel of experts (including Dr. Robert DuPont) that was moderated by MARC Executive Director Sam Bierman
- In April, we co-hosted an important LGTBQ-informed training from Beck Gee-Cohen for local clinical professionals in Silver Spring, Maryland, alongside Ashley Addiction Treatment, Caron Treatment Centers, Encore Recovery Solutions, Tranquility Woods, Serenity Acres, Sandstone Care, and Newport Academy. In addition, Beck spent time at the MARC offices to do a “deep dive” with our clinical and medical teams regarding best practices to stay LGTBQ affirming
- Also, in April we co-sponsored and attended the Tuerk Conference, hosted by NCADD-Maryland. At the Tuerk Conference, MARC co-founders Sam Bierman and Zach Snitzer were honored to present Tammy Lofink of Rising Above Addiction with a community service award.
- On May 5th-May 7th, we attended the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP) annual National Addiction Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C.
- During NAATP, we co-hosted a dinner with colleagues from Cirque Lodge in Utah that brought together several local clinicians from Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia to discuss collaboration and best practices.